Why You Should Never Rely On a Fast Commercial Roof Replacement
When it comes to running a business, you must adapt as fast as the world is changing. However, there are some areas where fast is not your friend. For example, you should never rely on a fast commercial roof replacement.
In our society, we have gotten used to getting everything we want right now. But for some things it’s best to take your time. This is true for building a brand, hiring the right employees and commercial roof replacement. Learn why so you can make the best decisions for your commercial property.
What you need to know about commercial roof replacement
- There are many different types of roofs and materials, each with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. You can choose from sheet metal, single-ply, built up and sprayed polyurethane foam.
- The type of commercial roof you select should be based on many factors, such as flexibility, weight and cost.
- How much you pay for commercial roof replacement depends on the materials you use, with sheet metal being the most expensive. Remember that you may also be charged for removal and disposal of your old roof.
- Some of the issues that your contractor will discuss with you include whether you need a drainage system, the effect of where your building is located, the slope and any unique characteristics of your roof such as the location of your HVAC system.
- When you get your new commercial roof, don’t forget to schedule regular maintenance checks so that it lasts as long as possible.
Why you might need a commercial roof replacement
Your old roof is failing – commercial roofs typically have a very long lifespan. When well maintained, depending on the materials they are made of, your commercial roof can last anywhere from 15-50 years. Constant roof issues can create a loss of productivity. If you have owned your building for many years, or you purchased an older property, it may be time for a replacement.
Restoration is not an option – sometimes, making a few repairs or restoring your roof can extend its lifecycle. Other times, the problems are so massive that only replacement will do. When your commercial roof has reached the point of no return, it can be a scary time. You start thinking about all the money you need to spend and how you will ever find a top quality contractor to do the job.
You decide to be proactive – waiting until the last minute for commercial roof replacement is not a game you want to play. Believing that your roof can make it another month or year and delaying replacement will end up costing you more in the long run. It’s best to deal with this issue head on and solve the problem sooner rather than later.
Conservation and durability – are you interested in going green? Or have you inherited a roof made of materials that are simply not the best option for your building, function or climate? If you commercial roof was constructed without these key aspects in mind, replacement might be in order. For instance, metal roofs are popular for their resilience and small carbon footprint. On the other hand, you may want to save the planet in addition to just saving money for your company. Vegetative roof systems are a way to do both.
There has been a disaster – storms and accidents can happen anywhere at any time. Strong winds, fallen trees and a quick, unexpectedly heavy snow event can wreak havoc on your roof. It’s no one’s fault, but when it damages your commercial roof, action must be taken. Unfortunately, it may require replacement.
Solar panel installation – photovoltaic panels are one of the most popular options for increased energy efficiency and savings on operating costs. However, some roofs, especially older ones, were not built to withstand the weight of these panels. Installing solar panels on a roof not equipped to handle them is a tragedy in the making. As a result, you may need to replace your existing roof to take advantage of these benefits. Whether you are considering installing solar panels now or sometime in the future, make sure you roof is ready for it.
Why fast commercial roof replacement is not for you
- Your commercial roof is a long term investment. Therefore, you don’t want a roof that is just slapped on hap hazardously. A new commercial roof is expensive so you want it to last as long as possible.
- There is no such thing as one size fits all roofs. Some roofing companies promise you an unbelievably fast commercial roof replacement. Remember the old adage that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. What these companies are really offering is a solution that is really akin to putting a Band-Aid on a broken leg. They will tell you that all you need is to apply a single-ply system over an existing roof. However, this does not take into account any issues that might lie underneath the surface. This may also be a sign that the company is not reputable or qualified to handle your unique job. If you have roof deck or insulation problems, there is no quick fix. The roof must be replaced.
- Only a top quality professional should be trusted with a job this important. Without a well-functioning commercial roof, your business would not survive. Just think about all the people and equipment inside your building. What would happen if it all got damaged by leaks, mold or total roof collapse?
A commercial roof replacement expert will not tell you they can do it fast, they will guarantee that they can do it right. In addition, they will be properly licensed and insured. Look for a company with a good reputation in your area and years of experience working with your type of roof.
Your commercial roof is only as good as the contracting company that installs it. At Peck Brothers Roofing, we can repair or replace all types of industrial and commercial roofs. We will construct an entire commercial roofing system for your property that is specifically tailored to meet your needs.